-Rare Earth

Saturday, April 2, 2011

"Harbour Island"- still dont know who sings it...

I have decided that since I am a horrible writer, lets face it you all have noticed, my blogs will just be mostly photos. I have been informed that this is all y'all really care about, which is a relief because I really don't enjoy typing up everything I do. So here goes me trying to revise my blogs, (though I have been informed by 3 different people down here that I talk to much) and make them only the important details.

Our first charter was amazing! I loved our group. It was only 7 men (yep all men again) but they were all so friendly. They were all friends that do vacations together every year and have been on the Bahama Star for years (coming every other). The group is as follows:

Andy- who headed the group, an ex-drama teacher. I knew I would get along with him when he busts out the “We've got Trouble” monologue/song the first night. It was awesome and he was really fun and interesting. He actually is a financial advisor so everyone told me he would give me advice and he did at the end of the week. He also has written a couple self-help books. I found “The Graduate's Book of Practical Wisdom” on my bed. I laughed because I have never been given a self help book before, especially from the writer. I didn't know if it was like a “You NEED this” gift but I am actually reading it and enjoying it! I appreciated the gesture.

Rob- The BFG, really and truly I cant think of a better description. (for you non Ronald Dahl readers thats the Big Friendly Giant and you should be ashamed for not knowing that)

Dean- Oh lawd... Deano the Greeko was a character. He is Charlie's boss and one of the most entertaining and kind people I have met. We spent evenings talking and laughing and he is so much fun.

Mike- ha ha Mike was a character as well. He was the witty and sarcastic one that just always had you either laughing or scratching your head. Always doing his fist pump supermans with Rob or going on a tale about something or another (think Gilmore girls)

Hugh T- an ex-principle who loved sailing and was always sitting right by the hull asking questions and always wanting to hop in and help. He was a cool guy to talk to and really loves the water and wants to sail his small sailboat down!

Dan- Robs brother and the newest of the group. He was given a hard time all week because he was always sleeping! Real fun, even if he struggled at cards...

John- So much fun. John was the athletic one who was training for the boston marathon in like 4 weeks. He almost didn't come because of it (yes I gave him crap for this) He was also very adventurous so we went snorkeling together at the reef like half a mile from the beach in harbor island (didn't realize it was that far). So we swam out and he has done ironman like three times (I know I felt very out of shape) and I am semi dying and he is just swimming far ahead and then stopping and checking to make sure I am still afloat and then swims more. But the reef was cool, I even swam through a hole in the coral!

I have done a great job keeping this short I know. So if you cant tell I really enjoyed the group! If all the charters are as interesting as these guys I may never come home! We went up to Eluthera for the week and Spanish wells. As well as harbor island which was a very beautiful island. The beach's sand had a pink hue to it because of the coral, it was very cool. The highlights were first off, Eukher (SP?) my new favorite card game. I learned it the first night (apparently its a “midwestern thing”) and John and I rocked it all week. Every night john, mike, rob and I would play (you have partners, its kinda like hearts) and john and I were FANTASTIC. I would go on about how great we were but y'all don't really care (I hope mike and rob don't read this). Anyway other highlights were one night when we were anchored out we had live music. Mike and Andy are both great singers and we spent a while just sitting under the stars giving them songs to sing. Deano even sang “Old Man river” and it was the highlight. We also spent a day at harbour island and took advantage of the pool too! We played water volley ball and some of the guys were actually the “net” deano felt like he should be taller (standing next to rob causes that) so he was a jumping net. We won, just saying. We also spent an evening in Spanish wells having a FEAST. I'm serious, Jared, bruces friend who lives there, and his wife and sister cooked up a the meanest food ever. I am talking we had conch salad, crab legs, tuna, grouper, chicken, some other fish, and I ate it all! I even liked the tuna. It was soooo much fun. I learned how to play Bahamian dominos (horrible at it) and we just had so much fun. All in all it was a great week and I really do miss those guys.











I should tell you that about 3 days before we went to harbour island bruce started singing this song. It got in my head and we would find ourselves singing it all the time. But unfortunatly i have yet to hear the real song and bruce only knows two lines, so i just sing these two lines constantly. I now fight ever using the word harbour or island (yes its hard) because bruce will start singing it and then it is stuck in my head all day! It is a horrible cycle, enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl- (I'm confused, feel like this post is out of order?) This sounds like so much fun! Keep up w/ the posts & the pics. Euchre was a favorite of Dad's Grandma Mac, he used to play it w/ her-you will have to challenge him...miss you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved hearing about all your new "uncles". Miss you and wish I was there to play a card game w/ you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete