-Rare Earth

Saturday, September 3, 2011

"Have a Good Time" - Paul Simon

This was another great week and our last time at a lot of our favorite places in the Exumas. We had an all guys YL group from Texas. They had all gone on the trip two years ago and were doing a “reunion” trip, aka they just really wanted to come back. Shane and Craig were the leaders who returned and they also had Jase a leader who works with college life back at TCU. The twelve boys were all about fishing. We didn't hit the park at all we just took them to different reefs to spear fish.

Saturday night we sailed over to the Exumas late and all the boys proceeded to go for a night swim with their “waterproof” flashlights. Pretty entertaining. Sunday brought in my birthday which was so much fun. Another guy on the boat, Addison, had the same birthday as me! I was very excited about that. Sheila and Bruce got me my very own spear and shooter and Matt got me lots of chocolate! It was so nice. I spent all morning trying to spear something and had brownies and Happy birthday Addison and Aubrey Anne sung, it was fantastic. We went to Compass Cay one last time, which was really sad. Saying goodbye to Tucker and Preston and my favorite beach and having one last tucker burger. I finally speared my first fish on the last day, but once again he wasn't quite as big as I thought he was... but it restored my faith in my spearing capabilities. The boys spent every night shark fishing and slept in every morning. It was weird getting up and not immediately cooking breakfast. They caught a 4 ½ foot lemon shark and were pretty good at spear fishing. We had delicious fried fish and lobster, lobster omelets, and lobster Alfredo. I got spoiled. We also jumped off thunder ball for the last time. I jumped a few times and Matt and I finally dove off. Something I have wanted but been terrified to do. It was an experience... exhilarating but also a bit painful. My neck and head were not happy with me for about five days. The group was all reading “In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day” and talking about it. I picked it up and read a few chapters and really liked it. Its on my book list. Another week of beautiful weather and water and I am sad thinking that I am nearing the end of my time down here in the Exumas.

No comments:

Post a Comment