-Rare Earth

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Love Immeasurable - Ryan Long

The group: Cheeze, Joel, Gator, Laura, Shelby, and Chris


This past week was yet another great time! We had a Young Life group from Macon Georgia and they were fantastic. It was actually all leaders except for Gator, the one kid who just graduated. It was another small group, There was Joel who knew Bruce and Sheila and had been on the boat before who is on staff with YL. Chris, also on staff who was real fun and went to Furman as did Laura one of the volunteer leaders. The only other girl was Shelby and then of course Cheeze. They were a group thats for sure. We had so much fun and got to share life stories and get to know each other real well.




No words...

Highlights include snorkeling Allens, eating delicious birds eggs (with a small group Bruce spoils us some), forcing Laura to face her shark fears at Compass and Cheeze rocking a speedo on the sail into the Compass Cay Marina. There was of course tons of fun to be had at Big Majors with the pig and we always tried to be entertaining for Chris's handheld waterproof video camera! We spent time playing on Corona island and Normans and the whole time just pretty much acting like kids and spending the week feeling the love of christ in all the things we saw and explored and experienced. My favorite time was every night Chris would get out his guitar and we would sing tons of songs anything from Ryan Long (very excited to get to listen to that all week) to Brittney Spears (though Taylor Swift was a favorite for Chris) and anything in-between. I loved it and even tried to teach them Deep Way down Deep which was my favorite song we did at club. Of course being as tone deaf as I am it was an adventure. We got to see great stars and fantastic moon rises and had an epic game of beach volleyball at Rose Island (we won).. We watched storms roll in and lightning light up the sky. It was all so phenomenal. Another memorable time was getting everyone up the cliff at Thunderball cave and watching them jump. Everybody had a pretty easy time... a little hesitation from Cheeze, but Gator, poor Gator stood up there for over an hour! After giving him every type of talk I could think of I stuck with the “sweet release” idea of just jumping. It took a stranger to just say, jump and keep your hands by your side and point your toes for him to finally jump though, even though he followed none of that advice.... (see video) He finally agreed to jump if I did. I really thought it was a toss up if he would or not and as I was falling I thought he hadn't done it...

The boys working hard at the camp

We came back into Nassau on thursday instead of friday and spent all day friday at the Aids camp, All Saints, and served lunch and helped them with some other work around the place. The girls and I were put in charge of repainting the porch of one of the cabins. It was fun but I covered myself in paint once again, but I guess there are worst things. Spent the evening exploring Atlantis and admiring the Manta Rays. I loved the group and Saturday came way to quickly and it was very hard to say goodbye.





Gator dressed up like me…

My captain...

No comments:

Post a Comment